Wednesday, August 19, 2009

FFA Advanced Sheep Showmanship

First off let me say I didn't plan to go to the sheep showmanship competition. What happened is that one of the FFA girls saw me standing in the door of the barn and invited me to come. So I figured, why not? And let me tell you, she wasn't atypical - sheep people are really nice!

















The event I saw was advanced sheep showmanship. That is for FFA members who have shown at least once before. There were several preliminary rounds during which I took the above picture. As luck would have it, it features the eventual Reserve Grand Champion, Emily Cook (left), and Grand Champion, Jason Wetzler (second to left). Both Wetzler and Cook are in the North Clackamas FFA.

There's a lot to showmanship, most of which I'm sure I completely missed. But what I did notice is that it is a major undertaking. And that's just the way judge Justin Hull wants it. Before announcing the winners, Hull said he likes his competitions to be marathons and not sprints. He likes see who has the fire and passion and he wants to make the kids sweat. Literally. After what must have been at least a 20- to 30-minute final round, Wetzler came up the winner.
















Wetzler with his Grand Champion ribbon and more than a little of that perspiration judge Hull wanted to see.
















Cook receives her Reserve Grand Champion ribbon from judge Hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what good things you saw at the fair and what events people should know about.